Saturday, December 21, 2013

Holiday Card 2013

Holiday greetings to any and all who may still be following this blog. Color me impressed that you've not given up and unsubscribed by now! :-) I know that it's been a long time since I've published anything.

Here's a photo of the card that I made for this year's card exchange. I've mentioned before that I've been a member of an online group for fans of Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series. The books are set in Scotland and feature Jamie (an 18th century red-headed kilted highlander), Claire (WWII era time-traveling nurse and Jamie's soulmate), and a circle of standing stones. All of this in mind, the images and font of the card hopefully make sense.



I was actually ready to break out fun tools for card-making. I love embossing, embossing/die cutting machines—all of the fun stuff that's out there now. I've found that I'm really drawn toward clean and fairly simple designs though. I don't care for a lot of layers and bling. I also like my cards to be easily mail-able and share-able. This card is a good example. I wound up pulling out some of my oldest trusty tools and techniques: color dusters, dye inks, post-its for masking and creating torn edges, Versafine onyx black ink for a crisp sentiment impression, and just a touch of Stickles to add some extra spark. It was a fun version of my own kind of time-traveling, now that I think about it. :-)

So, happy holidays! And for those Gabaldon fans who occasionally get by here, I hope that you're well aware of the fact that Outlander is well on its way to being on the small screen next year. Get your subscription to Starz and get ready to see that book come to life. If you haven't checked out this series and you're a reader who doesn't mind tackling a large book, give Outlander a try. It's the first book and well worth the read.

Have a great end to this year and best wishes for a wonderful 2014!

7 comments:

  1. I love your card! Can you tell me where you found your stamps for the card?
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, still here. :) I love your image & greeting stamps! Can you tell me where I can buy them?
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I've posted that I forgot to include the stamp credits! The standing stones are from Amazing Arts (an eBay-based vendor), the sentiment is from Scottish Borders Stamps (closed a few years back and I don't know that anyone picked up their lines of celtic stamps), and the tartan background is a Hero Arts cling stamp.

      Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I'll do some searching around and see if I can find similar stamps. Our last name is Murphy and my daughters are especially proud of their Irish heritage. I love using Celtic stamps on cards for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to see you posting your beautiful cards again. Hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card -thanks for sharing! Your blog has so many great tips and techniques, and I'm glad it's all still available for reference. Enjoy your crafting and doing what you're drawn to in 2014.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin