- I already mentioned that Moroccan Screen debosses if placed in the folder as you normally would. It's easy enough to flip over, but if you're planning to emboss decorated card stock or a card front, it's something to keep in mind.
- These folders still do not emboss an A2 size card front from edge to edge. They still leave a bit of an unembossed border around the edges. That has not changed.
- For a number of these new folders, ProvoCraft has gone back to doing something that was kind of bothersome in the past. They start the embossed design very close to the folded edge of the embossing folder. That means that when you place a card front or piece of card stock inside the folder, you're limited as to where you can place it. Sometimes I wonder if the folks who come up with the designs ever actually use the folders. Yes, the embossing is very crisp and clean and the designs are lovely, but if I put a piece of A2 size card stock in the folder and roll it through my machine, the design will start very near the top edge and leave a large unembossed border at the bottom. That's a shortsighted way of making these. To be most useful, the design should have been cheated toward the open edge of the folder, if anything. That would leave a lot more options as far as placing the design on a card front or piece of card stock. I was disappointed to see that.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
still more cards made with new Cuttlebug folders
I found some time to play with a few more of these new Cuttlebug embossing folders.
This card was made using the Harlequin folder. This is one of the folders that is only sold as part of the complete bundle of new folders, at least for right now. The stamped images and sentiment are by Hero Arts. The scores were made using the Scor-It. The doodling was mine.
I used the Diamond Plate folder on some polished stone for this card. The image of the boy and the 'dream' sentiment are from Cornish Heritage Farms. Again, the scoring was made using my Scor-It.
For this last card I essentially used the double Cuttle technique that I've described here before. I first embossed with the Herringbone folder then with the Flourished Frame folder. I stamped the images by Basic Grey using Memento dye inks, cut them out, and then popped them off the front of the card. The embellishments are Kaisercraft colored pearls.
I think that brings my total to 10 of the 11 new folders used on cards in the last three or so days. Just like with the last release, it's fun to have new designs to play with. A few things to note though:
All in all though, these Cuttlebug embossing folders are still a lot of fun. I've used them alone and a few in combination. One of these days I'll have to pull out some of the older folders and try more techniques since there are now even more possibilities as far as combinations. And maybe I'll come up with a good way to use the Journal Card folder that I haven't used yet. :-)