Saturday, July 22, 2006

On my current read

It seems that I'm still blocked from a creativity standpoint. However, when one option is out, another is usually available.

I did some reading today. I've found that I've been gravitating toward female authors of series, particularly fantasy series. The book that I'm currently reading is called A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison. This is the fourth book in a series featuring Rachel Martin, a witch, who is generally just trying to survive, as she seems to be a magnet for trouble. In the Hollows, the world has vampires and weres, witches, humans, and elves. There are also pixies, fairies, and demons. Rachel is learning about a lot about herself and her world on the fly.
If I had to try to describe this series, I'd say that it's very much like what you'd get if you crossed Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books with Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books, with Rachel getting the better qualities of both of the main characters in those two series. She's a white witch with unusual powers that she's learning to tap, but events are constantly propelling her toward the use of black magic. I won't say anything that might spoil a read, but I'll just add that I've been enjoying the direction that this fourth book has taken, especially with regard to character development. The series starts with Dead Witch Walking, continues with The Good, the Bad and the Undead, and is followed by Every Which Way But Dead. Aren't those titles great?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin