Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wish Big!

I hadn't realized it, but that was an appropriate sentiment for not only my card, but for this post. :-)

I wanted to use the last of the new Sizzix Movers & Shapers dies that I'd bought. This is Kit #4, the Note Card Envelope. This came with an XL die that lets you cut out the envelope shape. It's scored and has the flaps so that all you have to do is fold it and glue it together. There is also an opening in the die similar to the card dies that allows you to place the add-on dies to cut out shapes, if you want to.

Here are some of the details. The finished envelope with the flap closed measures 3 1/2" by 5". The cutting surface of the die from cutting edge to cutting edge is 4 3/4" by 11 1/4", so again, you'll need to use cardstock or paper that's longer than the standard 8 1/2" by 11" to use this die. You'll also need the XL cutting plates. If you're a Cuttlebug user, these plates are currently too wide to fit through your machine. You can use your B plates and run the die through twice, but you'll get a bit of folding where the edge of the plate gets pressed into the cardstock or paper. You could get away with it if you make that happen at your fold.

This card envelope is designed to be used with the card kits that make the vertical and horizontal note cards, kits 2 and 3, respectively. I assume that those work the same way as the horizontal A2 card kit that I've described before (card kit 1), but just a smaller size. Personally, I'm not sure that I see the need for the note card dies. I don't think they have any special edges. They just have the advantage of being able to place the add-ons. You could cut your own note cards though and use the add-ons without the XL die.

This is probably a good time for me to mention that if you want to read more about my experiences with the Sizzix Movers & Shapers dies so far, including using them with the Cuttlebug and using add-ons without the card die, look at my sidebar and check out my drop-down menu for Tutorials and Info for the Big Shot and Cuttlebug.


The yellow envelope was made using the note card envelope card kit. I used the flower add-on to cut out the window. The Martha Stewart Simple Scallop border punch was used to embellish, then I added some bling. I'll mention here that the die worked nicely, but did cut through the cardstock at one of the crease lines, just a 1/2" at one spot, but that was a bit of a disappointment.

I cut the notecard myself to fit the envie. The stamped image is by the Memory Box Company and colored with Copic Spica pens and the Inkssentials opaque white pen. The sentiment is by Cornish Heritage Farms and stamped with Versafine ink. Again I embellished with the Martha Stewart border punch. I also used the die cut from my envelope and a Brides flower to embellish.

And here's the card envelope with the card placed inside....


I thought this was a fun and cute card die. I didn't have any card envelope dies in my arsenal, so I thought I'd invest in this one and try it out, particularly since it's a bigger size. Except for that issue with the crease line being cut, this worked nicely. I'm going to tinker a bit and see if using the crease pad might help as far as that problem goes. It'll be fun to use some of the other add-ons with this kit for even more effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin