Thursday, February 28, 2008

Scor-It

I've had my Scor-It for a couple of years now. Love the way it not only scores a nice line for folding, but it also can be used to emboss lines. The Scor-It differs from other scoring boards in that the score is made by running a wooden tool which has a groove at its tip along a thin raised metal rail. This produces a ridge, and when it is used as a fold line, it's called a hinge fold. In contrast, most of the other scoring boards produce the score by running the tip of a tool in a groove. The Scor-It also has a textured rubber surface which helps to hold the paper or cardstock in place as it's being scored. I also love the centering ruler at the top of the board, which makes scoring a card fold very easy, and it also stabilizes the paper or cardstock. You can see photos of the Scor-It if you click HERE.

The following are a few tips that I've gathered from various places. I hope this will help folks who might be having issues using the Scor-It for whatever reason.
  • make sure that the edges of your paper or cardstock are square because not all cardstock is cut square to begin with
  • make sure that you're holding the scoring tool perpendicular to the board
  • if the paper or cardstock is slipping when you make your score, try turning the board upside down and pull the scoring tool down toward the ruler--the raised edge will help hold things in place
  • if the scoring tool isn't moving smoothly along the paper or cardstock, try scoring some waxed paper that has been folded a few times
  • to score, place your cardstock face down; to emboss, place it face up
  • make modifications to the stop guide and scoring tool so that they'll be less likely to become lost; click HERE to see what I mean; I've done these and they're very helpful
  • if you're having trouble placing a score correctly after trying all of the above, check to make sure that the centering ruler is really centered on the rail and/or that your stop guide is still in the correct position
  • don't hesitate to contact the Hammonds Group if you can't get things to work properly--their customer service is excellent
  • check out some of the artwork on the Scor-It site for inspiration--there is some really lovely work that's been done using this tool
That said, I really like this tool and have both the full-size Scor-It and the Scor-It Mini. I like the Mini. I use it more often than the bigger one, but occasionally I do like to use the full-size Scor-It when I'm working on something larger than the traditional card. Sometimes the Mini is just a tad too small.

I want to add that I'd looked up all of the above information because I was having issues with my Mini. It wasn't until very recently that I realized why my scores were always just a bit off. I'd thought it was just me rushing. Then I noticed that the centering ruler was not centered on the metal track. It was between 1/16" to 1/8" off. I wrote to the HAMMONDSgroup, Inc about it. This was on a Sunday of a three-day holiday weekend, mind you. I'd written mainly so I wouldn't forget. I expected to hear back maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. I heard back that night from the president of the company. He wanted to make things right and asked for my address so that a replacement could be sent out. Just. Like. That. It arrived via Fed Ex and was in my hands on Thursday. Now that's a company that stands behind its product! I was impressed, and so I want to be sure to mention the excellent service that I received. These days it sometimes feels like both customer service and standing behind one's product are commodities that have fallen by the wayside. This was a breath of fresh air! Thanks, Tim. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin