Sunday, December 31, 2006

End of the year wrap up - Reading

I've been thinking about this past year as it winds down and as I look toward the beginning of 2007. I usually keep better track of what I've read during the year. I have no clue how many books I've gone through. In past years I've averaged between one and two books per week. Still, I'd like to see how well I can do at listing some of the more memorable reads from the year. Obviously the less memorable ones will be... less memorable and not listed here. *G*

I've been reading quite a number of series, many of which had new releases. I'll list the authors, in no particular order:

Sharon Shinn
Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor
Kelley Armstrong
Kim Harrison
Jacqueline Carey
Lois McMaster Bujold
Anne McCaffrey/Todd McCaffrey
George R. R. Martin
David Weber
Jasper Fforde
Lindsey Davis
Donna Leon
Dana Stabenow
JD Robb
Janet Evanovich
Liz Curtis Higgs

Most of what I read were new offerings, though for a couple I was catching up on releases from late last year.

I've been drawn in by a few new series as well:

Warprize series by Elizabeth Vaughan
Charmed series by Candace Havens
Temeraire series by Naomi Novik
Pink Carnation books by Lauren Willig

The Willig books I 'read' via unabridged recordings. I've listened to books this year more than ever before. I find that works rather nicely with my propensity to craft whenever I get some free time. I'd put a recording in the CD player and craft away. The library is my favorite source for these. The price is definitely right! I've also re-read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon in this fashion. It's interesting. I've read these books a number of times already, but hearing them seems to tap into a different part of my brain and I'll pick up on things that I've missed despite numerous reads. It's fun! I've also put one of those books, Outlander, on my new pink iPod nano (Woo hoo! Christmas present!), so that I can listen on my walks. Now I just need to make sure that I take those walks. LOL!

There are a few more books that don't fit in any of the 'categories' that I've mentioned already. One is The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist. That one pulled me in and pulled me right along. It had so much tension it was tiring though. Another is a first release by Jeanne Treatt called Dark Birthright. The last one that comes to mind is non-fiction and I've been reading this a bit at a time since I heard about it on NPR and had to check it out--it's called Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

I think that covers the more memorable books for 2006. Let me just mention again that Paperback Swap is a great place for trading books. I love being able to fill my to-be-read pile with books that I've only perhaps paid media mail postage for in order to get them into my hands, plus it's a great way to unload some of the books that I know I won't be reading again.

My crafting wrap up will be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin