Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm back!


First of all, sorry to have gone missing. Life got busy. My muse deserted me. I've also found myself getting caught up in the soap opera that is the American political season. But I'm back now. I'm hoping that my muse will stick around for a bit, and I wanted to post this card in thanks to those of you who manage to remain readers and followers of this blog, even when I take some unscheduled time-outs. :-)

By the way, that card was made using a Cuttlebug embossing folder, my Scor-It, Memento dye inks, an Autumn Leaves Stampology clear stamp, DCWV cardstock, and the Martha Stewart circle cutter.

I wanted to talk a bit about the Martha Stewart circle cutter. Until I bought this at Michael's a few weeks ago, using that handy dandy 50% off coupon, I'd been using punches or dies to cut out circles. I have a Fiskars circle cutter, and it's okay, but I wasn't thrilled with it. So, for a less than $10 investment, I figured that I'd give this one a go. I'd heard positive things about it, so this wasn't a completely impulsive buy, though I've been known to make some of those. LOL!


This is what you get when you buy the circle cutter--the clear plastic plate with the holes held by that white plastic ring and the tool that holds the swiveling blade. If you've ever played with a Spirograph, this is what this tool reminds me of. You place the blade in the hole of your choice, stabilize that outer ring atop your paper or cardstock, then move the blade in a circle. The clear plastic part moves freely inside the ring as you move the cutter. Once you've arrived back at your starting point, you have your circle cut out.


This is a peek at the underside of the circle cutter. There are four foam pads like the one I have pointed out in the above photo--they're positioned at different points around the ring. They do a nice job of holding the ring in place, as well as holding the paper in place. I've also shown how the tool opens up and provides a place to store the two spare blades that come with the cutter. The other plastic piece that you see is the cover that protects the blade.


This is a close up view of the blade and the plastic plate with all of the measurements. You can cut circles anywhere from 1" to 5 1/2" in diameter. The holes go up in increments of 1/16", so it's easy to cut a circle that will suit your needs. Unlike a Spirograph, the holes in the plastic have slots cut into them. I think you can make that out in the photo. That slot accommodates the blade which is like a flat arrow point and keeps it in place as you move the tool. You simply move the tool in a circle. The swiveling action of the blade keeps it facing the right direction to cut properly.

Now I've found that there is a little play of the clear plate inside the ring. It has to be able to move inside that ring, but sometimes the blade would not end up where it should have when I finished making my circuit. The simple solution was to make sure that the clear plate was nice and snug against the ring at the point where I placed the blade to start cutting. Since you apply some pressure against the ring as you move the tool, that assures that the blade will end up at the same point where it was when you started.

So, that's a quickie review of the Martha Stewart circle cutter. I like it and would recommend it, especially if you can get a good price when it's on sale or buy it with a coupon.

Ahhh, it's good to be back! :-)

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Thanks for posting your review and tips on this one. I have it and have used it a few times, and I like it pretty well. It's very similar to the one by EK Success (they make hers, too) but I think this one is better because it has the circle sizes where the other one just has a bazillion numbers on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same cutter as Jackie. I think those bazillion numbers are mm's?? Don't know and don't really care enough to find out. I like your cutter MUCH better, with the actually sizes on it.
    Great to have you back - have missed your posts.
    Deanne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something else I think I need to buy!

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny for me. i looked at the card and thought you were going to show how one could use the Martha tool for this too!!!! LOLOLOL When I finished I said, NOW I GET IT! A pretty card Jay and also a great reveiw of Martha's tool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card, Jay! Wonderful colors and design. This is a very interesting review of M.S.'s circle cutter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jay

    Good to see you back !

    If you have time at all do give this a lookies perhaps !!! starting this Weds !!!

    http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed you!

    Thanks for the review of the circle cutter. I bought one a few days ago, haven't gotten it out of the packaging yet. Good to have an idea how to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! It's good to be back. And thanks for the heads-up, Pearl. I'll be sure to check out that challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    You blog is excellent and your work is fab, I have added a link from my blog to yours. Hope thats ok.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Erin. Appreciate the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin