Friday, May 02, 2008

Megabilities & scalloped A2 card edges

If you've followed blogs and posts about Spellbinders' Nestabilities dies, chances are that you've seen Nichole Heady's short tutorial on making a card with a scalloped edge. You can read that post if you click here.

What I did this morning was use the same technique, but with a rectangular scalloped Megabilities die, to cut scallops on the long edge of a full-size A2 card. This was kinda nifty because I know that some folks have mentioned that it would be great to have a simple scalloped border punch without the holes that you get with the Threading Waters border punch by Fiskars. If you happen to have this set of dies, you're all set!

I started out with my Big Shot, a 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" piece of cardstock, and the largest die of the smaller set of scalloped rectangle Megabilities dies.


I passed the card stock through the die so that only the leading edge would be cut.


I put the top cutting plate in place and got ready to run it through the machine.


Here's how it turned out.


I used this technique to make the following cards.


This first one was made with the card stock that was pictured in the example above. I embossed the card front with the Cuttlebug Stylized Flowers embossing folder. The images are by Inkadinkado and were stamped using the new Memento dye ink by Tsukineko. I colored the images with Prismacolor colored pencils and blended with the Goo Gone Mess-free pen. I then cut out, embossed, and layered that image using Nestabilities dies.


For this card I used the scalloped Megabilities dies to make my layers. The images are all by Pink Paislee and colored using Copic markers and a Copic blender. I added the sparkle with Diamond Stickles.

As far as the new Memento inks, they were definitely fast drying. I know that they're supposed to be good for detailed stamping, but they were perhaps still a bit juicy at this stage and bled a bit on the cardstock. I'd still opt for Versafine ink for when I want to be sure to pick up really fine details. The Memento ink did work well with the Copic markers and didn't bleed. I stamped using London Fog to make the lines a bit more subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. :-) Don't be surprised if your comment doesn't show up right away. Because of the amount of spam being posted these days, I've switched things over to moderated. Legitimate comments will be appreciated, approved, and published in a timely fashion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin